Farma Industria Ticino (FIT), the association of chemical and pharmaceutical industries in the Swiss canton of Ticino, is a private organization founded in 1980 with the name ATICEF, with headquarters in Lugano.
In 2020, the Association decided to expand its network and now welcomes the following types of companies among its members:
- Ordinary members (with voting and eligibility rights): companies and associations in the chemical or pharmaceutical sector whose main activity is industrial or research, or companies whose turnover is generated in the chemical or pharmaceutical industry or trading.
- Start-ups (acquisition of voting and eligibility rights starting from the fourth year of membership): start-up companies in the chemical or pharmaceutical sector
- Associate members (without voting and eligibility rights): service and consulting companies
The Association at present counts 33 ordinary members, 2 start-ups and 1 associate member, with a combined workforce of 2900 employees and which reach a total annual turnover of approximately 1.7 Billion Swiss Francs. This clearly attests that Farma Industria Ticino represents the greatest majority of Ticino-based companies of this specific sector. The actual number of personnel of the companies associated with Farma Industria Ticino averages at 100 employees and is therefore higher to the average associated with the entire industrial sector of Ticino (with an average size of 50 employees).
Among the several areas of interest of the association, the principal ones are as follows:
- to promote collaboration and exchange of opinions and experience between each single member of the sector,
- to represent the member companies in encounters with public opinion, the media, political authorities and various public and private corporations,
- to ensure the presence of Farma Industria Ticino among the diverse industrial associations or concerns in the chemical/pharmaceutical branch in the cantonal and national field,
- to collaborate with related economic sectors.
Another area of focus to which Farma Industria Ticino contributes its own expertise is vocational training. A commitment which is also based on the constant need to discover and train future co-workers. The Association’s activity in this specific area hinges on the promotion of all training opportunities which are tied to careers in the sector, and targeted at young people.
In particular, Farma Industria Ticino organizes introductory courses aimed at young people who are serving apprenticeships in the professions of chemical laboratory technician, biology laboratory technician and chemical technician. In this way young apprentices have the opportunity to be guided and helped in their daily experiences by a series of trainers who, thanks to their own current work experiences in the field, are able to adapt and apply their knowledge in a way which is closely tied to workplace demands.